Friday, March 6, 2009

Fort Worth Date Night: It’s all about ME! (Fort Worth Business Press)


Last Friday was my birthday.  I’m not the type to get excited about birthdays.  Everyone around me gets excited.  Me...not so much. A few weeks out, the questions and e-mails started, “Are you looking forward to the big day?”  And, this wasn’t even a big one. I suppose that, growing up, I never wanted to look forward to something just in case I was disappointed. This transferred over to adulthood. I’m very baseline when it comes to the excitement level in regards to my personal celebrations.

Back to last Friday.  PR Chick asked me weeks out to take me to lunch on my birthday. Her birthday actually fell the day after, so, we were looking at a mini-combination celebration. However, since lunch was transpiring on my actual birthday…the focus was on me. PR Chick lives in Dallas and we decided to meet in Fort Worth. After much thought, I chose Lili’s Bistro on Magnolia. I’ve heard about this place, read about it, sent clients there, but, had never personally experienced what all the fuss was about.

So, last Friday was the big day. I arrive to see PR Chick holding a huge “birthday-looking” gift bag. I already love Lili’s. It’s not a big place.  And, everyone in Fort Worth must have gotten the same memo as there was a bit of a wait.  I’m not a big fan of waiting, but, we were already there, that was the plan and nothing was going to change. I’m eating at Lili’s!

After we were finally seated and given menus, I did what anyone else would have done. I ripped into my birthday bag. Then, it was time to focus on the matter-at-hand. It was time to order. The menu is diverse, but, EVERYTHING on it sounded amazing. People waiting around us talked up the burgers.  I was really leaning towards the Tilapia tacos. However, when it came time to make the decision, I went with the sesame seed chicken. As long as the wait was, the order seemed to come out pretty quickly. I was not disappointed.  And, the portions are huge. Two of my favorite things…large portions and great food! 

The perfectly-crusted chicken was sitting on a bed of rice. However, one of the most impressive parts of the plate was what came with the entrée. A basic lettuce wedge with a Gorgonzola dressing and bacon crumbles.  Sounds pretty ho-hum, right?  PR Chick and I both agreed that we could have eaten just a large plate of the salad. By the way, PR Chick ordered salmon and was “Mmmm-ing” equally as much as I was. However, the “Mmmm’s” turned to “Ahhhh’s” when dessert arrived.

We went with the Rocky Roady Fudge Torte. Words can’t really do it justice.  Perhaps, the menu says it’s best… “Chocolate chip cookie crust, Belgian chocolate, butter, cream cheese and almond middle, and a cream cheese frosting top. Drizzled with chocolate ganache.” My first bite was pretty intense.  So many things going on at one time. It was time to turn our lunch into a CSI crime scene and unlock each mystery layer one-by-one. After dissecting this cake and sent walking with a full belly and a bag of birthday presents, there was only one thing that could top lunch at Lili’s Bistro on Magnolia…a birthday nap!

No comments: